Startup Spring Break: A Week in Review
Future Founders wants to inspire more women to become entrepreneurs.
That’s why we joined forces with Google to offer Startup Spring Break, a free week-long camp for middle school girls. The camp, which ran from April 15-19, 2019, brought together 28 aspiring female entrepreneurs from 23 Chicago Public Schools. Throughout the week, students built business concepts and mobile app prototypes, which they shared with entrepreneurs, Googlers and members of the entrepreneurial community on April 19. Check out the recap video.
During the camp, our students:
- Created app-based businesses that solved problems in everyday life.
- Built relationships with entrepreneurs in the Future Founders community.
- Pitched their businesses to investors from the Chicago community at our Google Showcase.
- Made friends with peers who, like them, want to create their own opportunity.
Congratulations to the winners of our pitch competition:
- FashEnVogue – an app that analyzes your existing wardrobe and creates new stylish outfits that match your unique personality.
- Swap-A-Prop – an online marketplace for local theater departments to buy and sell used but high-quality theater props.
Thanks to our judges:
- Brent Chase, PAL (2019 Fellow)
- Jane Goldfine
- LeDonna Jackson, Discovering Language (Spring 2019 Resident)
- Kelly Kondry, Motorola Solutions Foundation
- Moe Mitchell, Moe Mow’s Lawn Care (2019 Fellow)
- Kristen Nomura, Google
- Jasper Real, Smashlots Liquidation (2019 Fellow)
- Kristen Sanders, HALT (Spring 2019 Resident)
- Kelly Twohig, Google
- Ashley Villarreal, Hear Space (Spring 2019 Resident)
- Jen Wesley, Google
Special thanks to:
- Rob Biederman and Future Founders Board Member Matthew Goldfine for their leadership in supporting STEM and in partnering with Google.
- Future Founders Board Member Phyllis Lockett and the LEAP Innovations team for donating space for the camp.
- Communities In Schools of Chicago for helping us to recruit students for the camp.
- The parents and guardians who came out to support their daughters in the camp.
- Future Founders’ very own Ellen Muench and Salvador Dueñas for their tireless efforts to make the camp an incredible experience for our students.
- Our team of rockstar Future Founders entrepreneurship instructors who inspired students before and during the week: Amal Amaskane, Megan Clauson, Adrian Dueñas, Jr., and Danielle Tubbs.